But put dreaming aside, and come back to reality!
The short days of winter are upon us again, and this is a loss in itself. Why do those beautiful summer days seem fewer and fewer each year as you get older? As a child they seemed to last forever - and there was always something really exciting just round the corner. Now summer just flies by, and winter seems to last an interminable time. There is a feeling of loss; vanished days that can never be reclaimed. Energy is less, activity becomes a daily battle, and suddenly hibernating bears seem to have got it right.
Then again, SAD, or seasonal affective disorder is also part of this depressing group. Now, this is interesting, because there is thought to be an actual medical cause of this melancholy state.
Well, I prefer not to focus too much on the shortcomings in my brain. Admittedly it's getting older, but everyone is allowed to have their own delusions. Mine is to believe my grey cells are working perfectly well for me.
So it seems reasonable to expect that if I can conjure up some sunlight somewhere, I will manage to feel happy and joyful throughout the short days of winter.
With this in mind I have ordered a special light, after reading great reviews from others who have similar feeling to mine. Will keep you updated on this, I promise.
It is so important to be able to carry on, and maintain good spirits, during this low time. With that in mind, and thinking of all of us in northern climates, here goes:
6 ways to overcome the loss of bright days:
2. Find some flowers. Garden centres are sources of multiple pleasure possibilities. If you can afford it, buy a bunch of cheerful flowers for yourself. Otherwise, just look and enjoy. They are a promise of brighter days to come.
3. Ask yourself, can you change what has happened in your life? if not, what can you do to make things good again? There is always something. The catch is, it always requires some action from you, because this is your life.
4. Have the courage to be yourself. There isn't anyone just like you. Isn't that an amazing thought? unleash the power of you upon the unsuspecting world, and you will find fulfillment and fun that you never dreamed of. Being yourself brings laughter from others sometimes, but isn't that the greatest sound? It's only when we realize the value of our own uniqueness that we can feel whole in life.
5. Focus on Now. Make a decision about causing better things to happen wherever you might be on this day. Listen to your body and your mind. Change whatever you want to change. Anything is possible.
6. Stress is a pain. Literally. Don't keep chewing on it like a dog with a bone. when you get into bed tonight, let it go. In the morning start to work on the causes, without blaming or excusing yourself. Amazing how the day seems brighter when you find the solution.
And then, as if to promise more bright days ahead, I noticed these little new growths springing up from the ground. Don't know what they are yet. but they will be a lovely surprise soon.
Don't be afraid to venture out. There should always be a new surprise just around the corner.