Pollyanna was the glad girl. She could put her optimistic spin on any given situation, no matter how dark it was. She could always find a reason to be glad. She changed the world around her, with her relentless pursuit of finding the bright side. I learned a lot from her. But these days she seems to be blurring into the background.
It's becoming increasingly hard to find any good news in the world. You know there must be a lot, but if you either watch or read any news stories it seems only horrible stuff makes the grade.
I've been ambivalent about this for some time. Is it best to simply shut off the news, from wherever it comes? Or is it actually really important to face the plain unvarnished truth of horrifying, horrible events in the world? The first would protect me from thinking about a new dose of tragedy on a daily basis. The second would ensure I was at least up to date with national and international affairs. That's important to me.
As I really think about Pollyanna though, she was ahead of her time...a child of the future. There weren't any grief counsellors in her day...but she knew some really simple and useful facts about living the glad life. These are some notable wisdoms from her:
- She concerned herself with events and people close to her that she could help. She knew it wasn’t possible to help everyone in the world
- Her attitude to life rubbed off on those who had originally embraced a negative stance
- Pollyanna was unconcerned with the politics of others. She was practical, and stayed firmly with her beliefs of right and wrong.
She knew nothing of a world economy failure though, or global warming, climate change, AIDS, ISIS,or hundreds of other events that affect us on a daily basis. You could say our lives are more complicated now, but in all honesty, maybe it's just a case of maybe an attitude change is needed.
These are my plans to reconnect with Pollyanna:
CLICK THE IMAGE to get it from amazon.com
Highlights - some good reads in the Weeblyhood
- Come, Sit A Spell via Horse Biscuits
- DottoTech: Free & Easy Tech Tutorials via flashPress
- The Happiness Habit via marcoujor's musings
Have a wonderful week. See you back again on Friday.